Monday, June 26, 2017

Moving to Italy--Arrival



Arrival

The first time I saw Gabi was from the back seat of a tiny Fiat, fishtailing on flying gravel as we rounded a steep, hairpin turn.  We rocketed up the hill towards the house, and I gripped the armrest in fear, staring at flashes of pink stucco and green balcony, flickering between tree limbs.  A heavy gray mist hovered around us, scattering raindrops on windows, as my husband’s cousins worked their tiny cars up the winding road.  I gripped my daughter, balanced on my knees, and tried not to look at the deep, open ditch running beside us.  I smiled confidently at my two uncertain sons wedged in next to me, and I hoped George was coping with our youngest, squeezed on his lap in the car that careened up the hill before us.  I watched in horror as that car spun momentarily, executed a dangerous sharp turn, then dived in beside a tall hedge.  We repeated the same impossible maneuver to enter a small driveway that led past an ancient, vine-covered house.  We rounded the corner, scattering squawking chickens in the courtyard of what would be our home for the next year.
 View of the house from the road

View of Gabi from Bertola           

No comments:

Post a Comment