Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Moving to Italy: Phone call--Part 2



My sister’s sobbing spun me backwards five years.

My sister, my brother, and I heard the siren wail down our street. Then my mother stopped breathing. My sister knelt on the floor and sobbed as she watched our brother start mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Panicked, I ran to yell at the firemen, “Oxygen, bring oxygen quickly!” Tall, muscular men in heavy black boots and clanking belts moved in slow motion to fill the bedroom and squeeze us out. When they wheeled the gurney through the front door a few minutes later, an oxygen mask wheezed over my mother’s face. But they could do nothing to bring her back. She was dead of a heart attack at fifty-three.

About a year after my mother died, I realized I was losing the visual image of her face. I could remember the bend of her nose, the dimple in her cheek, and the small gap in her teeth when she smiled, but I couldn’t pull it all together. Because looking at photographs of her could reduce me to tears, I had put them all away. I had been so intent on avoiding the pain of remembering her that I could no longer visualize clearly what she looked like. Worried, I pulled out the last pictures we had taken of her, spread them out on the kitchen table, and looked at them carefully—the black and white Christmas card picture and the colored ones taken under a tree outside. Relief and pain surged through me as I stared at her familiar face. I didn’t want to forget her, not just the way her cheek felt when I kissed her, or the way her voice rose when she laughed, but also the way her whole face shone as she smiled. My children would never know her, but I held in my hand physical evidence of her existence, photographs to go with the stories.  





I brought those photographs with me to Italy and placed them where we could see them as we fussed and laughed and worried through our days. We were being shaped by those days, by those moments that we lived at Gabi. But as we began that New Year, I kept those pictures nearby to remind us of our source.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment