Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Moving to Italy: The Flu--Part 4.5



It had rained off and on every day since Marino had left for the hospital, and the little trickle of river under the bridge on the road to Gabi had swelled wider and higher. The rain was particularly heavy that day as I watched the road anxiously for our green Kadett. In the late afternoon I saw it splash over the little bridge and begin the slow climb up the hill. The boys and I saw it slip on the straight-away, slide near the vineyard, then disappear at the hairpin curve. It seemed an age later that I saw a pale green flash as it cleared the trees below the house. I let out my breath in relief and glanced down at the children's worried faces. They had been watching me. A moment later we heard the car round the corner and pull into the courtyard. 
I peered down the stairs and was surprised to see Marino walk in the front door. He was drawn and gray and had obviously lost a lot of weight. George and Rina helped him along the hallway and into his bedroom, then George came upstairs and explained to me all that had happened. Still suffering from the last stages of the flu himself, he fell into bed, exhausted, while below us I could hear my father-in-law coughing.

When I put the children to bed for the night, George was still sleeping, so I went downstairs to check on my in-laws. Looking distraught and distracted, Rina was walking around and around the kitchen, while through the open bedroom door I could see Marino sitting on the side of the bed, struggling to get enough breath to cough. He looked terrible. I glanced back at Rina as she pointed at bottles of medicine littering the kitchen table and said, “I don’t know which one is which. They told me everything so quickly I couldn’t understand it all. What am I going to do?”  

It was odd. All of the moments she had nit-picked and nagged and frowned in silent disapproval, seemed to fade. Suddenly she was a sick and confused woman, not my dreaded mother-in-law. When I looked at her worried face, I saw she was vulnerable, that she needed my help. Since my own mother had died young, I had never known the role-reversal that was then taking place. It was my turn to guide and advise. 

I picked up the nearest bottle and looked at the label. There was writing on the front, just like the ones I was used to, but it was in Italian. I asked her to translate. It said to take every four hours for cough. We picked up the next bottle and she translated the label again. Then I noticed a sheet of paper with the doctor’s instructions. As she slowly translated those, I helped her determine which pill was which, and when they, and the shots, should be given. It required that she get up several times during the night, so I showed her how to set the alarm clock to do that. Really, she needed more help. She needed someone to take over for her. I felt badly that I couldn't do that, but I'd already spent three wakeful nights with the torn ligaments in my back followed by long days caring for the children. I knew I wouldn't have the stamina to haul myself out of bed every couple of hours. I also knew that George was out for the night. He too was wiped out, and even when in top physical condition, he could sleep soundly through babies screaming next to his pillow. I had watched him do it many times. Besides that, neither of us had experience with injecting medication. Since Rina had been trained by the nurse, she was now the family “expert.” She would have to take care of Marino, no matter the outcome.

Before I left, I went into the bedroom to see Marino. He, too, looked vulnerable. Gone was the powerful authority figure who had forced my husband to work clearing the land for twelve hours each day of the summer. The face that could register kindness as quickly as anger now showed only pain as with every cough his shoulders trembled and he leaned forward to struggle for breath. He glanced at me briefly, and I saw a face drained of all color, except for the almost-black circles under his eyes. When Rina brought him a pill, I watched her help him steady the cup of water to his lips. He looked even worse than when the doctor had ordered him to the hospital. I was sure that he was going to die that night. 
I said good night and hurried upstairs. Deep inside I was terrified at the thought of witnessing his death as I had my mother’s. So much for my yearning for the natural life. When it came time to face up to the ultimate act of nature—death—I turned away.
I was awake most of the night with the pain in my back, the sounds of pounding rain outside, and constant coughing inside. Physically and emotionally I was completely drained.

But it would get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment