Saturday, July 1, 2017

Moving to Italy: Day 1-B

The story of our move to Italy starts with "Arrival" on the June 26, 2017 blog entry.



For our first lunch in Italy the cousins had brought cold cuts and rolls, and they cooked pasta, beef cutlets, and added a salad. The children ate some of the cold cuts and a little pasta, but they skipped the rest. I wasn’t too concerned. When I was able to prepare some of their usual food in the next few days, I was sure they would make up the missing calories.  After lunch, the cousins cleared away the dishes but refused my offer of help. I heard them say something about "bambini," and then they pointed out leftover meat that they had placed in a small refrigerator. Through hand gestures, I gathered they told me to go and take care of the children, and that there was food for the next day. I smiled and said "Grazie," something I repeated a lot that day. 

As they prepared to wash the dishes, I noticed that the sink had only one tap, the tap that was connected to the tank on the roof.  One of the cousins carried a large cooking pot into the bathroom to fetch hot water from the tank over the bath.  I had known that there was no washing machine or dryer in the house, but when I saw only one source for hot water, I realized that our life on the farm in Italy would be very different from our life in the city in America. 


 As dusk fell everyone went away, the cousins back to Turin, and the uncles back to their houses.  As we unpacked our clothes and prepared for our first night at Gabi, the two huge bedrooms echoed with our voices. Our room dwarfed the king-sized bed and the wardrobe, a luxurious change from our tract home in California. I thought it odd that it was almost twice the size of the living room downstairs, the opposite of what I expected. However, its cavernous feel left me anxious I wouldn't hear the children's cries in the night, so I made sure to open the door adjoining our rooms. The two cribs my father-in-law had ordered from the local furniture store had been set up in the second bedroom, equally huge. The cribs were not like the usual wooden-slatted ones we had left behind, but were shorter, web-sided beds that just fit Margaret Ann and Matthew. Paul and James would sleep near them in the old-fashioned matching twin beds that belonged to my in-laws.


 We stripped the plastic off the mattresses and made up the beds with sheets we found in the wardrobe.  When she had left two years earlier, my mother-in-law had packed them carefully in mothballs, along with the blankets. The fireplace in each room had been bricked in, so we took the chill off the bedroom with a portable oil heater we had found in the garage downstairs, then covered the sheets with camphor-smelling woolen blankets. I was leery of the camphor fumes. Would they damage the children’s brains? Who knew? But I had to take the chance. There was no other way of keeping them warm in the cold, damp bedrooms except for the portable heater. If we left that on and one of the boys knocked it over in the dark, the oil would surely catch fire. I opted for camphor fumes.







The children were sleepy early and not very hungry for the leftovers, so we bathed them two at a time, bending over the shortened tub, then dried them with towels that we found in the cupboard, towels that also smelled faintly of mothballs. Before we slipped them into their beds, we held the four of them close and sang their familiar lullabies. Exhausted after that day of new sights and sounds, they fell asleep almost instantly.


Not long afterwards, we pulled the dank sheets over our own tired bodies, but I was restless. We were truly far away from everything that was familiar. The farmhouse was definitely not the villa of my imagination. The outside showed its years: it needed fresh stucco and several layers of paint. The rooms inside were large and cold, and sparsely furnished, and they also needed paint. And danger for the children seemed to lurk everywhere. In spite of my home-study course, I had not understood much of the Italian that the relatives had spoken, and even though George had done a valiant job of translating, I had felt isolated as we ate with them. In the darkness it was hard to dispel my doubts. My last conscious thought was, "What have we done?"



The bath--many years later, but still the same as on that day.


Matthew in his crib. Margaret Ann to the left.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment