Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Moving to Italy: Day 2--Milk



On our first morning at Gabi, I pulled myself from the peace of the balcony as the children's voices echoed in their bedroom. We would need to supervise them closely until we eliminated potential hazards. Besides worrying about their safety, I thought it would be ironic if the Italian version of Child Protective Services had to pay us a professional visit. 

I roused George from a sound sleep, and after he helped me change the babies' cloth diapers, we piled them in the bathroom along with their wet sheets and pajamas. Laundry was an adventure that could wait. 

The children were hungry, so we all headed to the kitchen to search for food.  A check of the cupboards confirmed they were empty except for salt and pepper. There was none of their usual cereal, and no milk or eggs in the tiny refrigerator. Food shopping that day would be a top priority. But we did find the salami, rolls, and cheese left over from our meal the day before. Kneeling on chairs around the kitchen table, the children turned up their noses at salami for breakfast. Next we pulled out the extra rolls that had hardened overnight and cut them into chunks with pieces of parmesan cheese. They nibbled at the cheese, and Paul declared it too salty. James agreed, and copying their brothers, the twins rejected it too. 

After a light dinner the night before I knew they had to eat something. I was about to force them all to choose between the cheese or salami when we heard a knock at the front door. George went downstairs to answer it while Margaret and Matthew banged the hard rolls on the table, laughing at the sounds they could make and scattering fine crumbs. When George returned he carried an old battered saucepan half filled with milk. Zio Silvio had sent it for the children, fresh from the cows.  

George and I stared at the white liquid shimmering in the saucepan. It looked like milk, but we’d never seen it fresh from a cow. I dipped my finger to taste it and exclaimed, “It’s warm!” We looked at each other for a split second, then laughed. Of course it would be warm. It wasn’t from the refrigerator section of the supermarket; it was straight from a cow. Then I remembered the sounds from the barn as I had stood on the balcony an hour before, and I pictured Zio Silvio milking the cows in the barn, the same barn from which wafted manure smells—a natural consequence of life on a farm. And then I faced a dilemma. 

We had moved to Italy for a simple life. What could be simpler and more natural than milk, fresh from a cow?  But as a twenty-four year old born and raised in towns and cities, all the milk I had ever known was pasteurized, homogenized, sanitized. Should I dare to give my children this fresh, raw product? How could I make this badly needed, but potentially lethal, pan of nourishment safe for them? George didn't know either. We were loath to ask his uncle for fear of looking stupid, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to throw it away.  

Silent for once, the children watched us. In front of them were the pieces of hard rolls that they had tried to gnaw then discarded. Not wanting to put them off the milk, I pretended everything was fine and had them feel its warmth, explaining where it had come from. I hoped that Zio Silvio would let them watch him milking one day. Since they were only eighteen months old, the twins weren’t much impressed, and just babbled “Mulk, mulk,” but Paul and James seemed to understand.

Finally, long practiced at sterilizing items for babies, I used a match to light the propane stove, as I had watched the cousins do, then boiled the milk hoping that would be enough to kill any potential germs. While the children chattered, got up and down from their places at the table, and complained that they were hungry and cold, I let the milk cool a bit then took a sip. It tasted—like warm milk, with not one hint of manure. I looked at their expectant faces and down at the cooling liquid. And then, in an act of great faith, we poured the warm milk over the bread and gave it to them to eat.  

They lived! 

No comments:

Post a Comment