Monday, October 30, 2017

Moving to Italy: Speaking of Birthdays



For George’s 29th birthday that July, his parents didn’t even bother to wish him Happy Birthday. I don’t think my in-laws deliberately forgot their only son’s birthday. They had remembered it on previous years, but to them, birthdays were something that children celebrated, not adults. We were busy with settling in, and his birthday just didn’t loom large on their personal horizon. At that time I saw it as proof that they didn’t value George as a person. His father, in particular, was driving him very hard to get all the work done around the farm that had long been neglected. George worked 14-hour days, seven days a week. It seemed that they were taking a lot and giving back very little.
But when I consider now whether they loved him, I would have to say, yes, very much. However, they didn’t show it in ways that I could recognize as a young woman who resented the long hours my husband spent working at their command. It is only now, after many more years of living that I can understand their love and concern. 

And how does a parent express love? How does anyone?  I am very suspicious of the easy, glib, “I love you.” It seems phony to me. I have a friend who says it all the time, and I ask her, because she is a friend, “What do you mean by ‘love’? Romantic love, family love, friend love, close-friend love, acquaintance love, “Christian” love, “brotherly” love?” How many different kinds of love are there, and when we say that phrase, to which one does it refer? Does frequency of repetition mean it is more easily believed? Or does frequency of repetition dilute the meaning? If I stop my teenage child from doing something, they “hate” me, and they think I am a mean mother, may even doubt my real love, no matter how much I say, “I love you.”  Isn’t it, after all, the steady, reliable presence, and constant care that declare love, rather than short words that spin easily into thin air?
And when we were told “America: Love it or Leave it,”—those words on banners and bumper stickers that helped drive us from America—what exactly did those people mean by love? How do you love a country? Does love mean that you do not criticize the country? Or does love mean that you care enough to pay attention, to see what is wrong, and to try to change it?  And in these troubled times I ask, don’t we express our love for our country by watching, listening, and caring enough to express an opinion?

My parents didn’t express their love openly either, but I didn’t doubt that they loved me—even my father who could be so very cold. My mother was warm, but to say “I love you” to her children was just not part of her repertoire. However, I felt her love in her concern for every aspect of my life as I grew, and her willingness to watch me and sometimes guide me, as I groped around in my teen years testing my skills, testing her patience. She listened to me and allowed me room to express my feelings, and so I never felt a need to rebel in any big way, but I did some stupid things, like get engaged when I was seventeen. That was one time when she questioned me closely to make sure I was not running from our unhappy home, but when I convinced her I was genuinely in love and, already in college, intelligent enough to know what I wanted, even at such a young age, she supported me. It is a mark of how immature I was that I couldn’t recognize the logical flaws in my reasoning, and it is a mark of how much she loved me that she didn’t either. I really believed that I was old enough to handle the responsibility of marriage and a family, because I really didn’t know what all that responsibility meant. She assumed a far greater understanding than I possessed. I wasn’t mature enough for marriage and family, but I was forced to acquire that maturity very quickly. And in the end, it was good that I was settled when she died so soon afterwards, and that I could provide a home for my sister. But, no matter how busy, or how poor, nor how pieced-together the celebration, nor how simple the gift, my mother never, ever forgot my birthday. And even though sometimes we had to improvise on cakes and gifts, in Italy we were always sure to celebrate each birthday.



The story of our move to Italy starts with "Arrival" on the June 26, 2017 blog post.
 

My 25th birthday


James taking off candles, Matthew smiling at the camera.

Gabi: Mary's 25th birthday, September.

No comments:

Post a Comment