Thursday, April 26, 2018

Moving to Italy: Packing Up


During our time in Italy I had changed. From longing vaguely for a better life, I evolved to planning for a successful one. Clean air suddenly didn’t seem as important as adequate medical care, and a peaceful environment wasn’t as attractive without people to talk to. For me, the hateful rhetoric we had fled in California had been replaced by mostly unintelligible sounds in Italy, and in the end, that wasn’t good enough. Better the ability to answer the screaming epithets, than to stand confused and mute. In Italy I learned that I needed to connect with others, to feel part of a community. I could not survive without people. In working to make a life at Gabi I realized I had a strong will and that, like my mother, I could experience many setbacks and yet still endure. This realization was part of the slow journey to maturity that had begun with my mother’s death. As I looked back on our time at Gabi, I saw clearly that we needed to stand alone as a family, to support ourselves, and to make our own decisions. We couldn’t do that in Italy where we were so dependent on my in-laws. 


Everything seemed to happen quickly. In January we talked to my sister, in February we had the flu, and in March we booked our flight. George and the children were U. S. citizens, but I still held a green card, and that meant I had to return to the United States within one year of leaving. Since we had left in mid-May, we arranged to fly back in late April (with a stop in Toronto to visit with my brother Michael). George’s parents would follow us later that summer.

In March, we pulled our trunks down from the attic, and I began to pack. In them I placed belongings from my old life, as well as from the new. My sewing machine went next to our new Italian movie projector; my mother’s family photographs nestled beneath our blankets along with the photos from Gabi; and I packed as many of the children’s new toys as I could fit. (I couldn’t ask them to give them all up again, as I had when we left California.) When the trunks were packed, trucked off to Genoa, and loaded onto a ship, we began the process of saying goodbye.

While Margaret Ann and Matthew didn’t understand what was happening, Paul and James were excited about going back. They would see their Auntie again, they would get regular peanut butter, and they could watch T.V. Their friends in preschool envied their journey to America, and the nuns used it as an opportunity for a geography lesson, but the boys were too young to understand the consequences of their departure from the farm. They knew some of what they were going to, but they didn’t realize what they would give up. 
 
They would no longer be able to run down to the vineyards, or to the orchard, or to pet the dogs. They couldn't drop in on a whim to visit their uncles. They wouldn’t be there to greet Simona when she arrived for her summer stay. They would not be around to ride in the newly-harvested hay, and Zio Silvio would have to drive across the courtyard in his tractor by himself. The uncles would drink the remaining wine in our barrels, but no one would crush freshly-picked grapes for those barrels that fall. We would say goodbye to Zio Remo, who would die the following year. And say goodbye to Zio Silvio, who would be fifteen years older next time we saw him.  



NOTE: The story of our time in Italy starts with "Arrival" on the June 26, 2017 blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment